Monday, January 11, 2010

I Still Wish on Stars

Last night as I was leaving my parents' house to head back home to the metropolis of Benton, I was struck by a bright, singular star. It wasn't a part of a cluster, just kind of on its own, shining away.

I've been wishing on stars for as long as I can remember. I even (embarassingly) have a little "winking ritual" that I have to do every time I make a wish. I say the usual "Star light, star bright, the first star I see tonight, I wish I may, I wish I might, have the wish I wish tonight," then I make my wish, then I repeat the phrase in the past tense (i.e. "the first start I saw tonight, I wished I may, I wished I might..."), then I wink once with my right eye, twice with my left, once again wtih the right, then pause, then a final wink with the right eye.

Yes, I am insane. And a little OCD.

But it's one of my things.

Last night I wished that this would be the year that I fall in love. With myself. With a renewed passion in my relationship with God. And sure, if it fits, with Mr. Right. But, for the first time, that was the last part of my wish, not the first.

I've long wished that a relationship I was in would work out, that I would fall madly in love with a Prince Charming, and so on and so forth. But last night, for the first time, my wish didn't involve anyone else that could/would make it come true. Just me.

In that small, quiet moment, I took ownership of my wish.

2 comments:

  1. prince charming's are tough to find, but they should be. right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reckon you're right. Guess some things are worth the wait! But for now, I'm pretty content in the waiting.

    ReplyDelete